Sunday, November 1, 2015

Halloween fun at UVA

After our quiet morning at home we headed over to UVA for some Halloween fun. Mark had a teacher work day so we picked him up at 2:45 and got to spend an early afternoon with him.  It gets super crazy at UVA for trick or treating on "The Lawn" so I was glad Mark could drive.  I saw that there was a "Spooky Music" organ concert at a church right by UVA and thought it would be a fun and different Halloween activity.  It was scheduled for 3:30 and the trick or treating started at 4:00 so it worked perfectly.  It also so happened that the UVA Marching Band was having practice that night for their football game the next day and we had not been able to go yet this year so we decided to hit that up after tick or treating since we were already down there.  It was a fun busy afternoon/evening. It sounded a little crazy but it all worked our beautifully. All of these things were at UVA within walking distance of each other so we parked at the garage near where the band practiced since that is where we would finish the night. I was worried about finding parking because so many people head over there but we got there early enough that we had no problems.  The weather was beautiful and it was less than a 10 minute walk to the church.  We got there in plenty of time and had some fun running around in the sunshine.



The concert was great.  Short and fun.  The organist dressed up in a Phantom of the Opera outfit and started the concert with the famous song from that show.  He then played Pink Panther and finished with a fun piece where he only used his feet!  It was great.  After he finished playing he invited people up to learn about the organ and ask any questions. I didn't think Jared would be that interested but he wanted to stay for it all.  I hope we can do it again next year. We met up with our friends the Farnsworth's at the concert and then headed over to the Lawn.




We did the Lawn last year and had a fun time but it seemed way more crazy this year. I don't know if they were trying to be more organized about it this year and it made everything take longer but it just felt like all the lines were slower but Jared and Lydia enjoyed themselves and we saw a lot of friends from our old ward which was nice.  They got so much candy and when we were close to finishing Lydia was done. She said her bucket was "too heavy and can she please be done?"  Their buckets were heavy! I am glad we went.  The Lawn is beautiful and I think its really fun for the students to see all these kids in costumes.


 Lydia and Jared (but mostly Lydia) loves minions so she was thrilled to see these students. 
She has been drawing them on every scrap of paper this past week. 

 She was so happy to not have to hold her pumpkin anymore. 
That is the famous rotunda behind her. I am excited for them to finish it one day. 



 These guys were there making balloon animals/objects for fun. 
Lydia and Jared were so happy to get one.  Jared got a sword and Lydia got a puppy.  


After trick or treating we headed over to marching band practice and wrapped up our time at UVA.  We stopped by our car and had Lydia and Jared change out of their costumes and then let them run around.  I love marching band practice. The music is so fun and its really cool to see their formations.  
We ate some healthier snacks while we watched a kicked around a soccer ball. Jared and Lydia practiced walking up this slope (it was fun to see Lydia concentrate) and rolled down various hills.




His balloon later broke and he was pretty devestated.  We did try to warn him not to take it to marching band practice but his love was too strong. Lydia actually ended up with 2 puppies and kindly offered one to Jared and he was so thrilled and then it broke in the next 5 minutes so it was like instant replay.  He was so sad and is convinced that all balloon animals hate him. 



I am glad we could do all the fun events and it all worked out.  How I love this time of year!

No comments: