Sunday, November 1, 2015

Trunk or Treat and Halloween fun at home



Jared wanted to be a Pirate again (no surprise there).  He had outgrown his costume from last year which was a bummer because it was really cool. Costco had one he loved but they did not have a size big enough for him. Luckily I found this one at the clothing swap our Relief Society put on back in September. Its actually a Jack Sparrow costume and Jared doesn't really know anything about the movie (I did show him this CLIP which is pretty much my favorite part of the whole movie and he loved it) but it worked just fine.  I am not sure where Lydia got this idea but she decided early on she wanted to be a witch.  I made her little skirt and decorated her hat and she was good to go. 

Jared's school hosted a Trunk or Treat the Thursday before Halloween. I was not that interested in going but Jared and Mark really wanted to go so off we went.  It was a fun easy way to kick off our weekend of Halloween fun. And it was fun!  A friend had told that parking was always crazy so we go there pretty early and parked in the neighborhood near the school. We walked over and met up with the Shaw's.  We chatted for a bit then Jared actually wanted to go see another friend we had passed on the way in so I went over with him. I was shocked and (happy) that he initiated it.  Typically he just wants to be with Tyler which is not a problem exactly, he is a very nice kid but I would really like him to have other friends in his class  too.  He still has a hard time when he does not get to be with Tyler in centers/activities so I would really like to help him move past that. So we visited with Jordan (girl) and Carmen.  There was a really good turnout. There were some definite bottle necks but it all worked out and Jared and Lydia enjoyed themselves. I had to laugh because Mark wanted to go so he could meet Jared's friends and their families and he ended up staying with our friends the Shaw's while we waited for it to start.  I was way more social with new families.  We hadn't attended any school functions so it was good to go.



Jared has a sort of "Fall break" this weekend.  There was no school Friday and there is no school Monday or Tuesday. We spent Friday morning at home doing Halloween activities and had a great time.  We counted our candy and sorted it and did some science experiments. It made me realize how much Jared is gone during the week.  Before he started school full time we were always doing fun learning actives and art projects but we have done way less now because he is gone all day.  I do them with Lydia in preschool and while Jared is gone but I really miss that time with Jared.  I still try to plan a few for when he gets home from school but it is not the same.  I am so glad we could do some this weekend.

They LOVED this experiment.  Jared was so scared/surprised when it started inflating he literally fell out of his chair. It was hilarious. Look at those cute faces! We did a Frankenstine and then a ghost.




 I had them guess how many pieces there were then we counted them.  After that they had to sort it by the beginning letter and I had them guess which letter would end up with the most candy.  I guessed M Jared guessed S and Lydia guessed A.  Jared was right by a long shot.  It brought back somany great memories of years past.




Lydia's favorite candy this year are Lollipops and they both got a lot of them.  Jared loves Tootsie Rolls. We taught them a little bit about trades and they seemed to do pretty well with it but mostly just wanted to keep what they had.  Mark has 2 nephews currently serving missions.  One in Germany/Ausria and one in Pittsburg, PA area.  We had them pick some candy to send them and then had them go it all and pick out the candy they didn't like. It made me feel better to get rid of some of this stuff!  There is a dentist doing candy buy back so I think we will go tomorrow to drop off the stuff they passed on. I hoped Jared would be willing to take all his candy because he loves money so much but apparently he loves his Halloween candy more.  Same with Lydia. Maybe next year.  We had a great start to our Halloween.


No comments: