Lydia waiting for PIXAR shorts to start.
Each year Virginia holds a Film Festival and Charlottesville hosts it and it's kind of a big deal. I heard about it last year but didn't think much of it but this year I found out that they do a family day and was really excited. There were a few events that caught my eye and so we made plans to attend. I love that Charlottesville hosts this festival every year that is free (for family day I am not sure about the many many films they show) and focuses on fine arts. The Family Day events (Saturday) were at UVA. Mark had registered to attend the Family History Conference so he would not be joining us which was a bummer but he was really looking forward to the conference. I was grateful that the events were held at an area of UVA I was familiar with. Finding parking really stresses me out. We got to UVA found parking easily (and free too) and made it with abut 20 minutes to spare. The first event we were planning on attending was a showing of PIXAR shorts from 2007 - 2012. I knew this would be well attended and was glad we go there when we did. The theatre quickly filled up and had people waiting to see if there were any spare seats. I was worried about finding three seats together as I did not want to be away from Jared or Lydia and am glad it worked out. About 15 minutes into the viewing Lydia asked to sit in my lap and then this guy came and stole her seat. It worked out fine but clearly there was a good turnout. It was not a small theatre. While we waited for the shorts to start members from the Charlottesville Symphony were on stage playing music. They took turns talking about different sound effects they can make with their instruments, like a cello making a tractor or a flute sounding like a siren. They played some well known scores from movies and talked about how music can set the tone of a movie. It was really enjoyable and I am glad Jared and Lydia could be a part of it.
After the showing we headed over to the "instrument petting zoo" and enjoyed trying out all kinds of instruments. The Symphony members were there and were so patient as they explained how to use instruments and taught the kids what to do. Jared's favorite was the clarinet. He liked it because he could make a really loud noise with it (basically he was good at it in his mind) and Lydia seemed to really enjoy the cello. There were some cool classes you could sign up for (for free like stage directions, stage make up, music in movies and some others) that I may look into next year and some fun art projects. It was really a great event. I am sure we will be regulars in the coming years. How I love this city and can't believe how we lucked out when Mark got his job here!
No comments:
Post a Comment