Monday, November 2, 2015

Soccer Season

Saturday (Halloween) was the last day of soccer for Jared. I think that overall he really enjoyed playing soccer.  It was more like half a season because practice and games got rained out so much. The "owner" of the soccer fields (Forest Lakes development) is very protective of the field so anytime there was any moisture soccer was canceled and we had a really rainy September, like 6 inches rainy!  Mark enjoyed coaching and felt like the team did improve this season. I know Jared did. The games got a lot closer the last weeks which was fun. I am incredibly uncompetitive and really want Jared to be a good sport so I have a hard time with his desire to always want to win.  One Saturday before the game I asked him "What do you do if you don't win the game" and he replied completely serious, "Cry."  Totally not what I was hoping for.  He was fortunate that his team won each game they played (even though there was no official score). I am not sure what would be the best way to approach this.  It is fine to be competitive (even though I don't understand it) but I really don't want him to be a bad sport.  I want him to learn how to play and not be irritated or dislike it if his team doesn't win.  We will see how it goes with time I guess and keep talking/modeling the appropriate response.  Yes, its okay to be sad/disappointed to not win but don't be a jerk to other teams or your own.  I don't want him to have his whole experience ruined if he doesn't win.

 Pre Game speech

 Action shot! I lucked out when I got this picture of him kicking the ball out of the goal. 

Will they score? 

 GOAL!!! 

Jared was thrilled to get his trophy.  

I got an email email at the beginning of the week that said they would be receiving them Saturday but I couldn't remember if they were getting a trophy or a medal so all week long Jared would say, " I can't wait to get my trophy!" and I would add, "or medal".  Thankfully it was a trophy. 
They also had Chick Filet biscuits and Dunkin Donuts Donut Holes. It was fun that they made the last day such a celebration.  We all met together briefly to thank parents and coaches and then did individual team trophy presentations. Mark did a nice job coaching and would probably do it again. I am glad he could do it with Jared. 

Lainey and Lydia.  

Lydia did a good job going to the games. We only went to 2 practices.  About half way though the season she asked us why she wasn't playing and we reminded her that she said she did not want to.  She has since decided she would like to play in the Spring so we will have 2 soccer players next Spring. 

No comments: