Two weeks ago I was talking to my friend Tara and I happened to ask her when they were going to do marathon in a month and it turned out that were starting it the next week, on March 20th. Last year we did it with them and some other friends in the month of April but since they are in Texas now and its so much hotter they are starting sooner. I was so glad I caught them at the start. I sent out an email to friends here to let them know we were doing it again and there are about 5 families participating here that I know of plus the Texas group. We have finished week one and Jared and Lydia are doing awesome. Jared ran all of it last year with Mark. Lydia had very little interest last year and probably ran 2 of the 26 miles but this year she has done them all. We try to go in the morning before school and its been working great. I printed out a chart for each of us so we can keep track of how many miles we have run and its been a fun motivator. One day we ran around the bus parking lot at Baker Butler with the Shaw's which was fun. Lydia did about 3 laps and Jared ran the whole mile and then ran another one with Mark, Lydia and me when Mark got home. It was a little colder than we wanted to have them out running in that morning but I was reminded of how much I dislike running in the afternoon. I have way less energy and its just not as enjoyable. Also temperature is so huge for me which I had not forgotten. Jared can go out and get it done, running a mile without stopping is not a challenge for him. Lydia can run it all but prefers to stop and walk at least once which is perfectly fine. Its been fun to talk to the other families about it and see that it has been a positive thing for them. Normally Mark and I spilt up the mile with Lydia. One will run the first half and the other finish it. She obviously has much shorter legs than the rest of us and needs lots of distractions but she gets it done. One day she started counting our steps which was great counting practice too! A sip of Gatorade is a great motivator and to celebrate completing our first week Mark got celebratory donuts on Saturday. I know Jared will have no problem finishing the month out but I hope it stays a fun thing for Lydia.
Day 1
Daylight savings wasn't that long ago so it is still pretty dark around 6:45 when we head out so one morning we wore glow sticks which was fun.
The motivating power of Gatorade and donuts!
This Saturday we ran the first 1/2 of the mile together and then I continued on instead of turning around and did a 5 mile run. It was the first or maybe the second really long run I had done since my race and it was so much harder than the day of my 10K! The temperature was for sure the biggest issue. It was like 56 degrees which is hot for me. I was super happy I could still run it all and hope I can keep it up for a good while. At least until May when it's too hot. It was not quite the same though as before the 10K. That is one hard thing for me. After a race I am way less motivated to run. I want to keep up what I gained because I worked hard to get to that point but its not the same. We will see how long I can keep it up. I do want to keep 3 miles as my base instead of 2. I want to be able to walk out the door and run 3 miles so we will see.
Only 20 miles to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment