Resolution: Run a 10K in 2017. Check!

The day of my 10K was sunny and cold (like 28 degrees cold) which was just how I wanted it to be. Maybe not 28 but by the time we started running it was about 32. I was really disappointed last year when I set the goal to run a 10K and then did not do it. I just could not find a good one. I remember when I did my other 10K it was the first weekend in May and I was way too hot. Most of the 10K's I saw (and there are not very many) were in June- August which I think are for sure the worst times to run especially here with the humidity. I am for sure a winter runner well, a winter in Virginia runner. Although I did run quite a bit in the winter in Colorado too. I think my ideal running temperature is around 40 degrees. I find it so much easier to run in the cold. I mentioned my goal of running a 10K this year to a friend here who runs a lot of races back in January and she mentioned the Sugar Hollow 10K. She said it was a nice level run and early in the year. I was nervous for a March run because I thought it would be hard to go in the cold and too snowy to go when I needed to but it turned out perfect. I was pretty sold on the idea of a level run and accomplishing it so early in the year. My friend Megan set up a training schedule for me and it worked great. I got some new running shoes and new music to listen to and was ready to train. It started out nice and easy with 2.5 mile runs but then it jumped to a 4 mile long run really quickly. I remember doing that run and not feeling very great but at the same time feeling awesome that I was able to run the 4 miles without stopping. My friend encouraged me to try to push myself harder and run the last .5 mile faster and I found myself doing it and it proved to be really helpful. Most often my schedule was run 3 miles Monday and Wednesday and then a 5 mile run on Saturday. For my 3 mile run I would run from our house to the airport and back. Once I got to our gravel road I would kick up my pace and try to get home as quickly as possible. I remember finishing my first 5 mile run on Saturday and as I started down the the gravel road Fight Song, by Rachel Platten came on and when I got to our house she was singing the line "I've still got a lot of Fight let in me" and I really felt that way. It was awesome. Music is amazing. My most favorite songs for this race were: Piano Guys: It's gonna be Okay, TobyMac: Light Shine Bright, Shakira: Waka Waka This Time for Africa, and Pink: Just like Fire. I could explain why but then this post would be forever long. When those songs came on they were the best pick me ups. Needless to say I love these songs and now when I hear them they remind me of this cool accomplishment I did.
The week before my race I was set to run a 5 mile run but when I got to my 5 mile mark (Chris Greene lake Road) I decided to keep running and see how I felt. As I was approaching the road I saw a young looking teenage boy round the corner followed by his older brother and then his Dad. It was cool to see a family out running together and it made me feel a little bit like I was running with them too. Sort of like a mini race. I kept running and made it to our house about 5.6 miles total and felt great. It was awesome to push myself and when I was done I felt like I could have run farther, I didn't feel like I was about to die. I totally got that runners high and it was awseome. The day of my race was pretty similar. I rode up with 2 friends who were running the 5K and it was fun to ride over with them. We ran the first mile together and then split up. My goal was to run the whole race and to keep a 10 minute mile pace. I reached the 5K point in 30.39 seconds and felt great. The race had about 100 participants so it was easy to start out, sometimes in races the first little bit is just super crowded and this one was not at all. The scenery was beautiful even in the Winter. You are running along side a creek for the whole race and run over a couple of bridges. It was actually the most peaceful run I have ever been on, it felt almost relaxing. I felt calm and good the whole time. In fact when I got to mile 5 I was slightly surprised I was there, it sort of snuck up on me. I finished the race in 61 minutes which is almost spot on for pacing. When I crossed the low key finish line I felt fine and was ready to keep running. It was such a positive experience. I am looking forward to running there again and doing the race next year too.

No comments:
Post a Comment