I can't believe May is almost over. It's been quite rainy, which I really don't mind. We have been lucky that most of our bigger outings have ended up with nice weather. One being the father son camp out. Jared was excited to go with Mark and had a fun time running around with the other kids and being with Mark. They drove up with another family in our ward and shared our tent with them. While they were gone Lydia and I had a girl party here with some friends. We ordered Dominos pizza which I love and Mark thinks is gross and I enjoyed it thoroughly. As Lydia and I left to pick it up she said to me, "I don't really like this pizza. I just like yours." As flattering as that is we are pretty much going to eat it whenever we get the chance! She ended up eating it just fine. She had fun playing with the girls and watching a movie and the Mom 's had a lovely time visiting.
Mark and I had a chance to go out on a date last Saturday and try out my new kayak. We went down to the Earlysville Reservoir and enjoy paddling and a yummy lemon treat. The weather was perfect and I love my kayak. It's really similar to the one we got last year but it feels sleeker and I think it moves a little easier in the water. We ordered a set of kayak racks for the highlander and they make me feel pretty cool. Mostly I just like that we can transport both kayaks on one car and that Jared's fits inside the highlander. They are admittedly not much easier to use to load up kayaks, I am just not tall enough but we can it make it work. It was really nice to be out on the water and enjoy the beautiful scenery. I am hoping Mark and I can go quite a bit and that I can go with some girl friends too as it is a fun way to visit. Jared and Lydia have been begging to go kayaking and it just hasn't worked out mostly because of the rain. I hope they still feel that way all summer when we can go much more. I wonder if it is mostly because the lake isn't officially open and its a way for them to get to swim. Either way soon enough we will be out kayaking! Speaking of water, I am pretty sure we are going to have Jared try out swim team this summer. We have talked about it for the past 2 years and think now would be a good summer to try it out. If we do it we are going with Hollymead swim team. I feel it is probably one of the most useful teams he could be on as far as life skills/sports go. It will be hard for him but should be a good experience. It seems like a lot of money though but hopefully worth it. I really hope he loves it and it can be something he looks forward too. I have met very few people who haven't been happy they did it so fingers crossed.
We headed over to Baker Butler Tuesday night for Jared's first grade performance. It was actually pretty cute and he did a nice job. It has been a good school year for Jared. Some weird social things as far as him being exposed things earlier than I would like but he has really loved his teacher and done well. He has had at least 2 major crushes on girls from his class (Ava first and currently Jayleen) and had some girls have crushes on him. It's so weird to me because they are so young. He really has a nice class. I have been volunteering on Fridays for the past 2 months or so and I have really enjoyed being in his class and seeing what he is like and getting to know some of the kids in the class. He is a good kid.
Also in May, the bear is back!
A few weeks ago we woke up to our trash cans knocked over and a big mess to clean up. We knew it was time to start using the bungee cords again. Tonight I was at the computer and heard a crash in the driveway. I immediately knew the bear was back. It was 8:58, a whole hour earlier than usual. I ran to look out the window and saw it there. I opened the door and peeked out. It was still pretty light out and it was in our trash not 20 feet away. He picked the wrong night though as today was garbage day and ours was pretty empty. There was maybe one bag. We hadn't had time to put the cords back on yet. Mark came up with a new one to attach them and it seemed to be working pretty well. I ran to turn on our motion detector light and to get my phone. This was my chance to get a picture. We have a storm door and I cracked it open and watched the bear stop digging around the trash and look at me for a second then go right back to the trash! It was so close and not a bit fazed at seeing me. I was tempted to go wake up Jared and Lydia so they could see but restrained myself. I will admit my heart rate sped up a bit seeing it just chilling there. Really not concerned with seeing me. Even when I yelled "Hey!" at it it barely looked up. We will put our bungee cords on and hope it stays away!
4 days ago









No comments:
Post a Comment