Mixing up a Moroccan blend of spices.
Sampling some Venezuelan food
While we were there we (mostly me I think) noticed a demonstration across the street. There is a statue of General Robert E Lee at Lee Park. Over the past year or so there have been talks about renaming the park and removing the statue. The people demonstrating Saturday were those in favor of the statue staying there and the park not being renamed. It was really the first demonstration Jared and Lydia have seen (it was not very big at all) and I wanted to get to talk about it more but they were distracted by the free stuff they were receiving. Later that night I saw a news clip of individuals (most of whom came from out of town) holding a torch rally there. It was bizarre to see these people in that way when I had been there just hours before. A counter rally was quickly pulled together it seemed, which was mostly peaceful from what I gather and I was glad to see people of the opposite opinion expressing their feelings too, letting it be known that they did not agree with what they were showing and saying. It was just so odd to be at this great cultural event and then see that. One article talked about how the police were really surprised at the torch rally, it was not at all expected. I was very surprised too.
That afternoon we tried out our fancy bike rack for the first time. It is super easy to attach to the Highlander and get the bikes on. I am really glad we got it. We went over to the church and then decided to try something new and rode over to the fire station just down the street. It was nice to go somewhere new and gave me glimpses of even longer family rides. Lydia is doing awesome on Jared's old bike. She loves riding bikes now. Jared and Lydia also had a "beach day" in out sandbox. Jared has been so focused on basketball and the trampoline I think he forgot we had a sandbox and has had a lot of fun rediscovering it this past week or so. They played for well over an hour and loved it. I did too!
Mothers day was lovely. I slept in till 8:00 and then after I woke up I stayed in bed and read the Sunday School lesson. We went to a delicious brunch with some great people and then Mark made my favorite dinner, orange chicken. I haven't gotten to try out my kayak yet but that is the plan for Saturday. I had Lydia go ahead and fill out the mothers day questionnaire like the other preschool kids. Here were her answers.
My Mom is 50 years old
My Mom weighs 50 pounds
My Mom's favorite color is aqua
My Moms favorite food is orange chicken
My Mom always says "I love you to the moon and back."
My Mom cooks the best fettuccini
My Mom's job is teaching preschool, Kohls, making dinner and cleaning the house.
My Mom laughs when I tickle her
If my mom had time she would love to read to me and Jared.
My Mom and I like to play with each other in forts.
My Mom really likes hanging out with her husband and kids
I Love my mom because she makes stuff for me and helps me do stuff.
I have many days where I do just want time to myself, or to not feel guilty for doing preschool work or not playing with Lydia and Jared but they make being a mom really great and I am grateful for them.












No comments:
Post a Comment