Thursday, June 13, 2013

Colorado

This week has been a rough week for Colorado.  3 wildfires broke out this week all within 24 hours of each other. One of them is about 10 miles away from us and we know a few people who are in evacuation areas. We are not in any danger but can easily see it from our home. The other night the smoke was so thick it woke me up and I thought the fire somehow got right by us. This is from our neighborhood the first day. It's been very hot and the winds have been really strong. The humidity levels are in the single digits so its basically the worst possible conditions.


 
From our backyard the night the smoke woke me up, this is like 4:30 in the morning.  I could not get back to sleep for the life of me.

It's strange because last year the Waldo Canyon Fire broke out on June 26th so really similar timing. People have been talking about wildfire season and I didn't know it was a "known" or recurring time here.  I do not remember any big fires the first two years we lived here (2009-2010) but maybe I am just forgetting.  This fire, the Black Forest Fire is the most devastating fire in state history as far as property damage. 360 Homes have been destroyed and more could still be lost. 38,000 people have been evacuated! Last I read there are around 750 firefighters working on controlling the fire. We are perfectly safe but it is really close. Its so hard to go on living our normal lives when 10 miles away people are going through this and firefighters are working so hard. Colorado desperatly needs some rain and the wind to stop!

No comments: