Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Cox Farms


I took a half day at work (which is funny since I only work 4 hours) and picked Jared and Lydia up from school at 10:45.  One thing they really wanted to do this year was go back to Cox Farms.  We didn't make it last year and loved being there today.  We tried to time it to get there as the school/preschool kids were leaving but the local families hadn't arrived yet.  The lot was full of buses when we arrived so I was nervous we were too early (we got there at 12:30) but it was perfect.  The crowds died down by 1:00 and we rarely had to wait in line for any of the slides or other events.  One thing I really appreciate it is that everything (food excluded) is included in your entrance ticket.  They offer one free apple and mini pumpkin per ticket and delicious (free) apple cider.  Its really well run, had lots of cool slides, fairly cheesy and really fun.  We had gorgeous Fall weather and bright blue sky.   Its 1.5 hours away and totally worth the drive.  We all loved their beautiful pumpkin display.  It is so cool how pumpkin growers have introduced all kinds of new colored pumpkins.  We loved walking around the display checking out the different shapes and sizes. They also had the biggest pumpkin (winner at the Virginia State Fair) on display.  The same person won 1st and 2nd place.  The first place pumpkin was 1217 pounds.  His 2nd place pumpkin was 1047.  They were massive.




We headed over to the hay pyramid where Lydia and Jared played hide-n-go-seek and tag and then played on the rope swings.  Both Jared and Lydia loved the rope swings this year.  We went on all the slides but contrary to previous visits the big blue slide was not Jared's favorite this year.  He said it gave him a headache.  The farm slide was the winner this year for him and Lydia loved the big blue one the most.  I asked the people at the top which lanes were the fastest and they said 1 and 6 had just been waxed and Lydia and I flew down them.  It was so fun.








After sliding we headed over to the Corm Maze.  The maze here is more of a walk through, you literally cannot get lost in it.  They have weird and random exhibits in it I would say 75% of them are homemade out of wood and then painted.  I was telling Jared about how at night they make their corn maze a haunted corn maze and he is desperate to go.  I think it could be fun to go with a friend for his birthday one year.  But not this year, maybe in 5th grade.

 

Walk through the inside of a pumpkin.  This was pretty cool and life like and grossed you out.  

Tilted house full of bugs and rodents.


We enjoyed fresh apple cider donuts, a hay ride, a walk through Fairy Tale Forest and more sliding.





We also saw goats, sheep, chickens, rabbits and so many pigs.  One set of piglets (12 of them) had just been born on October 04th and were so cute and little (and stinky). Jared was in rare form wanting all kinds of pictures and taking so many good ones.  He is a pretty handsome guy.  


He wanted to play in the penny pit so badly that he stayed there while Lydia and I went back to the blue slides.  It was nice to know that he would be okay by himself while we went on the slides.  Six and a half and nine are awesome ages for kids.  We had such a a fun day together.  I was slightly concerned about traffic going back but it wasn't too bad.  We left the farm just after 4:00 and made it to our dinner stop in an hour and 15 minutes.  It should have been just under an hour but there was some traffic right by the farm.  We stopped and ate at Ihop a place Mark would never want to go.  To our delighted surprise kids 12 and under eat for free on Tuesdays and they have an art project for the kids to work on while you wait.  Today it was a Q-tip skeleton.  So we only had to pay for my dinner which was just the cherry on top of an awesome Fall day. It was definitely worth the drive and skipping school. We rocked out to The Beatles on the way home and it was fun to hear them singing along on parts they knew.  I was a huge Beatles fan from like 10 - 20.  I still love them but it has scaled back a bit.  I'm happy to introduce Lydia and Jared to them.  

No comments: