Sunday, October 21, 2018

Saturday's in the Fall

In my opinion every day is better in the Fall but Saturday's are the best in the Fall.  This past Saturday we started the day with Jared's soccer game.  I ran to the field his game was at from our house again which worked perfectly.  With my new job I am having a hard time getting a run in first thing in the morning so even though the weather has been great for running I haven't been able to make it out except for Saturdays.  He has been really happy with his team, the Aggressive Rats.  They only play one other team of 9-10 year olds and so far they have won each game which is of course fun for him.  I have been happy to see that the kids are all really good sports to each other which is really all I care about. On Saturday's game Jared and a kid (Nathan) on the other team crashed and Jared ended up on the ground (for real, not a flop).  Nathan immediately stopped and asked Jared if he was okay.  I was so impressed.  Later in the game this same kid kicked a ball out of bounds and it came right near Lydia and I (we were on a blanket on the ground) and he ran over and apologized so sincerely.  He is that team's best player and such a thoughtful kid.  I need to find his parents and tell them and ask them for some tips.  Not that Jared and Lydia aren't thoughtful but it was like second nature to this kid.  I'd like to tell him too, hopefully it wouldn't embarrass him too much. It led to a great conversation in the car with Jared and Lydia.  Jared commented on how nice he thought Nathan was too and we talked about how we could follow his example.  I think I have seen him at Baker-Butler when kids are walking to buses, I'm pretty sure he is in 4th grade.  So soccer has been great now that the rain has stopped and they are actually able to have practices and games. 

Jared is in the blue soccer socks and maroon shirt, close to Mark who is the assistant coach.  The official coach actually broke his nose last week so he is stepping aside and Mark will fill in. 


We went home after and finally did some yard work.  We pretty much took the summer off from doing anything in our yard and weeds are taking over even more than usual.  We were gone so much and it rained so much that it was hard to even get it mowed this year.  We cleaned out our garden beds (just in time for winter?) trimmed bushes and little trees that had grown but could be cut with hand clippers, pulled weeds, and moved some big rocks that had suspiciously moved to different places.  For someone who doesn't come to our house often it wouldn't look much different but it looks much better to us.  Like we actually tried to do something.  The woods will always be the winner here though. People are kind though and often say that the fact that we are in the woods is great because you don't have to try to control it.  I would like it to be more cleaned out but its such an overwhelming task and I hate yard work.  It being Fall just makes it tolerable.  At least it feels nice outside. 

We came inside and tried (unsuccessfully) to get tickets to the Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert in Salt Lake.  The guest performer is Kristin Chenoweth who I think is amazing. Tickets became available at 10:00 am MST Saturday.  I had my sister Susanna, Mark's mom, myself and 2 friends who all tried to get tickets for us.  Super lucky to have such great people in my list.  One of my friends here was actually able to get 2 tickets for me!  I am so excited.  Mark and I happened to be on Temple Square when we were dating (so 2003) and were given extra tickets and attended it and had a great time. I think it has only gotten better since then.  So as long as Mark is still working at the airport then I will fly out and hopefully go with my sister Susanna.  I am so grateful that Mark is willing to work there so it is even an option. Its really cool to have the option of hopping on a flight to Salt Lake to meet up with my sister for a day.  

After that we drove over to UVA to meet some friends and watch the men's soccer game.  We always enjoy going and had been bummed that the dates hadn't worked out but finally they did and on a beautiful Fall day.  They were playing Wake Forest the #1 ranked team and for about 10 minutes UVA looked like they were going to win but then Wake Forest came through to win it 3-2.   



Not a view I would have thought of to use for a soccer game. Or anything really...

Jared, Lydia and I took dinner to Mark who had to be at the airport at 4:00 and then watched Hocus Pocus for our movie night.  They had never seen it and it had been many years since I had.  Lydia can't wait to watch it again and Jared in true Harry Potter lingo (or British) kept calling Sarah Jessica Parker's character (and other parts) mental.  


No comments: