Charlottesville was playing Albemarle and it was Charlottesville's homecoming. I had planned on sitting in the stands but Mark thought it would be more fun for Jared and Lydia if we stayed on the track down by the end zone. This was a great plan as Jared and Lydia each got to chase down the balls from the field goal kicks. They loved it. They chased down the ball and then ran it over to the football player who was collecting the balls for the referees. We spent the first half on one side of the field walked around to watch the cheerleaders cheer for a minute then waited for balls at the other end zone. Since it was homecoming I was looking forward to a cool half time show but we sadly ended up missing it. The band took the field but the whole break was spent announcing the candidates for Homecoming queen and king. I figured it would be a part of it but didn't know it would take the whole time. It didn't really matter though because it was kind of helpful for Jared and Lydia to hear about the things that students can do while in high school. After listening to all the candidates profiles I had picked a girl and boy I wanted to win and they actually won! The girl was in the national honors society, the french honors society, one of the band drum majors (she was in her uniform for marching band) and was escorted by her younger brother who looked like he was 10 or 11. The boy was the number one singles tennis player, one of 100 Influential Young African American leaders, a member of the National honors society and escorted by his mom. I enjoyed seeing someone other than the stereotypical kids win. As we walked out Jared talked about how he wanted to be one of the people nominated when he was in high school and it was a good opportunity to sort of talk about high school and things that can set you apart not only for things like this but for college too. Neither Jared or Lydia know a lot about high school so it was a fun way to sort of show them good and bad things and have fun at a game. We left at half time and they both were sad to go. The performances were scheduled for the end of the game so we were bummed to miss them. I'm not sure we would go to another game this season but I think taking them to a basketball game could be fun too.
Returning the ball
Jared had a soccer game Saturday morning. So many of his games and practices have been rained out but this game had the perfect weather. I had Mark drop me off at the airport roundabout and then ran the rest of the way to the soccer field to meet up with them. It was about 1.75 miles. The first mile was pretty rough but as I got closer to the field I was sad to be done. I am really looking froward to running again now that the weather has turned. He ended up winning his game and scored 2 of the 5 goals. His team is the Aggressive Rats. Jared is a pretty decent soccer player and has seemed really happy with his team this year. Three of the kids are in our ward and one he knew from a previous year. Lydia seems perfectly happy to not be playing soccer this year. She was pretty much just in it for the snacks in the past.
After soccer we came home for an early lunch and then headed over to the Blue Ridge School for a hike. I really hope to get more hikes in this Fall. There are really so many great options near us and we have not taken advantage of them. Jared and Lydia were really good sports about it. Lydia commented that at first her legs were tired but then she got used to it and it didn't feel long at all. On the drive over I mentioned to Jared that he needed to start going running with me so he would be ready for the Turkey trot next month. Lydia commented that she did not want to do marathon in a month this year. I told her that was fine and she asked if she could still get a popsicle. I told her that she would need to participate some to get her popsicle. After the hike she said that she actually thought she could run a mile and was willing to try marathon in a month again. We will see where she is at next March. The hike was nice. It felt a lot like Preddy Creek and Ivy Creek places we have done a few times. Sort of a simple walk in the woods. I prefer places that end up with a view and will have to look up some good hikes in Shenandoah. It was a perfect outing for the weather though and it was great to try out somewhere new. They are both really good ages for hikes and I really hope we get out there.











No comments:
Post a Comment