Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Back to School in person (one year later)

Our school district has now moved to stage 4 which means Lydia is in school 4 days a week and Jared can now attend 2 days a week. This new set up started last Wednesday and Thursday almost exactly one year since everyone was sent home.  Jared stayed with Mr. Gomez and attends Tuesday and Thursday and Lydia stayed with Ms. Stern and is there Monday-Thursday.  Originally Lydia was moved back to Ms. Shifflett's class and I didn't feel good about it.  I contacted the administration to see if there was any way she could stay with her current teacher and a spot opened up.  I am not sure if I should have made a fuss about it as her closest friend from Ms. Stern's class did move to the other class and Ms. Shifflett's class has recess with Ms. Sanford's class and her other really good school friend is in Ms. Stanford's class so she doesn't get to play with either of them at recess but its done.  They do see each other when they eat snack and recess so that is nice. I do feel Ms. Stern is a better fit for Lydia's learning style and personality and she is happy to be there but what a crazy year. 
Jared is so happy to have a chance to go to school. Last night he and Mark filled out their brackets for March Madness.  Jared took his to school today to show his teacher and before he showed him his teacher brought it up and mentioned that the 5th grade teachers and Mr. Charles (the awesome head janitor) were all competing with each other.  Mr. Gomez told his class that any of them were welcome to participate and Jared raised his hand and showed him his bracket.  It was just funny that he had it at school with him.  He has been so happy with Mr. Gomez which has been great to see.  Recess is weird for him too as his closest school friends are not attending in person so he is kind of lost as to who to interact with.  I feel for them both. If he wanted to he could play with other kids but so far he has just shot baskets by himself. 
 Picking them up from school takes so long now that there are so many more kids at school.  I can't decide if I should go early and sit in the car for 40 - 45 minutes or leave my house at 2:30 and not wait in the crazy line.  If I go early then Jared and Lydia don't have to wait long but its not like we have anything we are rushing to get too. At the same time I am done working by noon and most things I need to do I can do whether they are home or not so its not like I need all that time at home. Today I left my house at 2:20 (dismissal is 2:25) and still waited in line 20 minutes. Maybe tomorrow I will leave at 2:10 and see if it gives us a good split.  It's just long whatever I choose.  Today the first things they said to me in the car was that they couldn't believe I made them wait 25 minutes to be picked up.  I did not take it well.  I quickly commented that maybe they should say "hello, or how was your day, or thanks for picking us up" before they complained about a wait when I have been waiting even longer than they have. It was a quiet ride home after that.  So once we got home, before we got out of the car I had them apologize, and try again.  I'm just really glad its March and we are as close to finishing this year as we are. I do not feel that homeschooling Jared and Lydia or keeping them virtual would have been better.  It is good for them to be at school, it just has not been the best way to end our time at a school we have been very happy with.




No comments: