if you're Mormon and have lived in Egypt.
I went to the Dentist today and met our new Dentist, Dr. Crisler. As I heard his name I thought "I wonder if Crisler is a common last name?" The reason I wondered this is because a few weeks before Mark and I arrived in Egypt a young LDS couple went back home to the states. They were the Crisler's.
As Dr. Crisler and I were talking he asked a series of questions that were pretty common but also slightly leaning towards common Mormon questions as the conversation continued. Such as:
Dr: Do you have kids?
April: Yes a little boy.
Dr: I ask because my wife is due any day now with a boy and we can't come up with any names.
April: We named our son Jared Hyrum, is this your first child?
Dr. No fifth. (April slightly suspicious I mean, 5 is a good amount for Non LDS people.) Is that a family name? (Dr slightly suspicious of name especially the Hyrum part he tells me later)
April: No, not really we just wanted a name that wasn't too weird but not super common either.
Dr: Where are you from?
April: Northern California, a great place called Yuba City
Dr: Where is your husband from?
April: Turlock, CA
Dr. Where did you go to school?
April: BYU Idaho
Jack pot!
He mentioned he was LDS and that his brother went to BYU Idaho. As he was trying to figure out the years his brother was there I asked is your brother's name Randy?
Jackpot again!
I told him how Mark and I got to Egypt right after they left and they actually lived on the street behind ours. Some branch members had told us where they lived. We totally could have been neighbors in Egypt and now his older brother is my Dentist. Although we have not actually ever met the (other) Crislers' we still feel like we know them because we have the common bond of Egypt. What is even more coincidental is that his brother Randy is a middle school teacher in Idaho Falls! Dr Crisler spent a semester at the Jerusalem Center in 1997. I told him how Mark and I loved visiting there. It was a fun visit except for the getting a cavity filled part.
It really is a small world once you have been overseas. We can't wait to go back. Somewhere, it doesn't have to be Egypt but it could be if that is how it worked out.
4 days ago






1 comment:
Well, it *is* a small world with that criteria! It took Egypt to get Rachel Whoolery & me to meet. We were born & grew up within 20 miles of each other. Our oldest daughters were born 5 days apart in the same town! (provo) small, small world! (btw, i found out the bestors were moving to Cairo at my yearly 'woman exam'. the dr. was cris' neighbor & delivered jacqueline!)
Post a Comment