Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I love what you do for me...

TOYOTA!
Anyone else remember that commercial?




July 2008

Last July when we got back from Egypt we needed to buy a car. We had done lots of looking online while in Egypt and were pretty set on some sort of Toyota sedan. We got home to California and that weekend we started looking. We ended up going car shopping on the grossest day of the summer. There had been all kinds of out of control wild fires that week and it was super hot so we were pretty much the only people out car shopping so we got a pretty decent deal and our lungs were already used to breathing in disgusting air from Cairo so no big deal... We ended up buying a 2007 Toyota Corolla which has worked out perfectly for us.
When we bought the car we had to register it in California before we could drive it out to Colorado so since we had just paid a large amount of money for California plates we decided to hold off registering the car here. Yes, slightly against the law but I find it very annoying that once you move somewhere you are expected to register your car to that state when your current registration is still perfectly valid. We also didn't want to rush to register the car here in case we did not get a job here because we would just register it to whatever state we ended up in. Well, yesterday we did it, we turned in our California plates (paid another large amount of money) and are that much closer to becoming Coloradan's!




What is sort of funny is that a guy who lives on the floor above us has the exact same car as us color and style, only like a year or two older. (If I just turned around and took a picture you would see a duplicate of our car.) We used to feel so cool with our California pates and now we are just another one of the masses. The lady who registered our car was really nice though and let me pick out the plates we got and therefore we got 116 since 16 is my favorite number. For the first time in my life I have my license plate number memorized. (I always worry about being the person who left their lights on and was paged over the intercom but I wouldn't know it was mine since I didn't know the number.) While Mark and I were dating he had to register his car in Idaho (such a deal it was only like 60 dollars!) so I got him a license plate cover that said "Idaho plates, California driver". But since we are planning on staying here a good while we will just have to let go of that little California part of us although it is still such a great place.

3 comments:

veryterry said...

I remember when we finally switched to Idaho plates...we kept the California ones in our trunk for awhile for some reason...maybe just didn't want to give up that claim to Californiahood. And now we are quickly becoming Idahoans at heart! Funny how that happens.

Rebecca said...

I totally agree with you on the registration thing! We have to reregister every time we move and it's really a pain. It's interesting to see how different states do things though. Did you know in AZ you don't have to take a written test (as long as you already have your license) and you don't have to renew for like 40 years? Kind of nice, but at the same time, kind of scary.

Lydia said...

I'm feelin' pretty cool out here in Maryland for the summer with Idaho plates. I just love to pass some slow poke and then think, "That's right. The lady from Idaho in a minivan just passed you on a hill. Ha!"