I am pretty sure that the Dixie Chicks are from Texas but I couldn't help thinking of that song as we drove through South Dakota on our way to Mount Rushmore. Mark and I were trying to think of where we had been that looked the same as South Dakota and couldn't quite place it. Maybe because we haven't ever driven through Texas. Its not quite the same as Wyoming but close, prettier. In fact I was really surprised at how pretty it is. I think we went at the perfect time of year. It was fun to see the clouds take shape and see all the flowers.

As we drove down the road we came across a couple of buffalo herds or if you prefer Bison herds. We couldn't figure out why they were called Buffalo during the days of the Old West and why they are Bison now? As they would say in Egypt "Same Same?"

We also came across some donkeys. Please note two things about this picture.
1. How the car is parked, yes parked in the middle of the road2. The license plate on this car and the type of car.
It's a Mercedes from New York. Can we say City folk? We certainly don't mind people stopping to look at the animals, we do it ourselves but maybe they could pull over to the side of the road not park in the middle so other people could get by and not cause accidents. We were right behind the car and after a few minutes there were like 3 cars behind us. They stopped right at a turn too so it was a little nerve wracking to drive around them on the left into the other lane and onto the gravel shoulder that sloped down to get around them. It wasn't a huge deal just silly. We couldn't quite figure out what they were feeding the donkeys either it seriously looked like dried seaweed! Like the sheets you can buy at the store. Anywho, we enjoyed our drive through South Dakota and really enjoyed the rest of our trip which I will write about soon.
They were quite friendly apparently they are fed by drivers often.










2 comments:
Hey, we're going to Mt. Rushmore next month, in mid-July! Take notes, I'd like to hear any inside info on the trip!
Be thankful that you've never driven across Texas. *shudder* That is a much prettier view. :) I'm glad you guys are having fun!
Post a Comment