Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mr. Spencer



Mr. Spencer at his new school.

Wouldn't you love to walk into your 6th grade Ancient Civ. class and see this guy was your teacher? I know I would! Yesterday Mark and I drove down to Colorado Springs to check out his school, pick up his teacher manuals and look at housing options. It was an incredibly long day and visiting his school was for sure the highlight.
We left Greeley at 7:45 am and made our way down to the "Springs" (stopping off at at the temple for a bit, always nice) and then got to Mark's school around 11:00. We went into the office and Mark got a box full of his teacher supplies and then we went on a little tour of the school with the assistant principal and got to see one of the 6th grade classrooms. It was not his classroom but it was nice to see what was inside it. The school isn't very old and has really good test scores which is a definite plus! It is just nice to know that he will be working in a school that is performing well not under-performing.
As far as housing options go I did not take any pictures because the three properties we looked at we do not want to live in, so I didn't see the point. We looked at a few townhouses and then a couple of apartment complexes. I never realized how great our current apartment is until looking at these. They were not really bad, it just turns out that we have a really great place. We were with a Realtor and he took us to this one house that he said "was really rough and would need some work" it was so incredibly disgusting!! I could not believe that people leave property like that. I mean they couldn't even take out the trash before they left so of course it smelled awful! I walked in the door and was ready to leave! I can't even begin to describe the grossness. It had an upper level then a basement and as I walked around I felt like I was going to fall through the upper level and land in a rats nest infested with cockroaches. NASTY!! We will most likely be renting an apartment for the first 6 months. Buying a home is very tempting because we are first time home buyers so we would get that tax credit but we have a super low price range so I think we will forget the tax credit even exists, settle in down there, have the baby and if Mark likes his job look next January or so. We have a busy enough fall ahead of us so I am not so sure we need to add the stress of buying a home. My dad is a Realtor in California and he said that buying a home was not easy, it is a lot like marriage " You keep your eyes wide open before you get married (buy a house) and then half shut after." (Elder Faust) To me getting married was infinitely easier then even looking into buying a home. But then again I did marry Mark!
So after an exhausting day (we got back to Greeley around 9:00 pm) we still do not know where we will be living (we did get some good ideas and I know we will be back down there in 2 weeks for Mark to sign his contract so we can do some more research online) but Mark's school looks great and he is way excited. Oh and another plus for his school, they are on a modified year round schedule so they begin August 04th and go 9 weeks and then have a 2 week break, well guess when his first break is? October 12-26th! And why is this important because Jared is due October 16th!! Such a deal! We will just keep hoping that Jared keeps being so cooperative.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Thats amazing that Mark already has the time off when Jared is suppose to arrive. Nice timing! I'm sure you will find a great place to live too.

Beth said...

I'm glad Mark likes the school so far!!! But still a little bummed that you are going to be in the Springs. But hey, we can always meet in Denver or something =) Can't wait to see you!!

Joni Riley said...

Good luck with the home hunt and I hope Jared comes when Dad is home for two weeks. Let me know if you guys need anything for the new school year or the baby.