Thursday, April 17, 2014

Easter Fun

We jumped into Easter mode right when we got home from Spring Break. It has been so fun, I just really love planning out these activities. We have been playing and learning with Jelly Beans, Mini Cadbury Eggs and Bunny marshmallows.  To quote the cashier at our local grocery store: "Easter has the best candy" We've hunted eggs, chicks, and bunnies and made cute Easter art projects.

 Counting and sorting

 Graphing

 Patterns

 Addition and subtraction

 Color identifying


Finding the bunnies






Jared and I made this cute little rabbit puppet and fed him Shape carrots.  Lydia and Jared both love it! I have been wondering how many shapes Lydia knew so this activity was a perfect way to find out.  She knows them all except the hexagon I through in there.




 Grandma Sue sent Jared and Lydia a cute Easter package and it had these Easter glow stick wands in them. Jared and Lydia love them and took them into the bath with them and slept with them last night.

This morning Jared was playing with his and the bunny came undone.  He was so sad and tried so hard to not cry about it. We talk A LOT about how it's good and fine to feel sad or mad but we don't have to yell and throw a fit about things we don't like. I don't want him or Lydia to think they can't be sad but I also don't want the waling and gnashing of teeth that comes with it at times.  He went to find Mark and show him what happened and Mark asked how it happened and Jared said he played too rough with it. I am writing this because I was really proud of how he handled it. He was very upset but he recognized that he was the one who broke it and only had a few tears. I could see him just biting his lip and working so hard on not sobbing. Luckily for him the bunny could be taped back together since it didn't crack just came undone.  So we had a happy ending.


Jared also got to go on an Easter Egg Hunt at preschool yesterday.  Each kid took 12 eggs then went out to find them. Jared brought home 4 of our eggs which I thought was funny.  Guess he liked what we put in there.  After his nap yesterday he came over to me and said he had a great idea. He said " How about I eat one piece of candy each day?" I would like the candy gone much sooner than that so I suggested he eat one egg a day.  He really liked that idea and went to his basket in the kitchen to get an egg.  I was at the computer finishing a blog post and I kept hearing him open eggs and wrappers. After about 5 minutes I finished up and went to go check on Jared and he had eaten like 5 eggs! He looked at me and told me he "was being so sneaky." In reality I knew he was eating more than one egg but decided that I would rather have the candy gone before we do another egg hunt and if he wasn't asking me if he could have more where I would have said no then I was glad it was gone.  We did talk about how we shouldn't be sneaky so it ended well.

And we have of course been remembering the true meaning of Easter as well. There are quite a few really good Easter videos on Mormon.org that we have watched and each night we do 2 of our Resurrection Eggs.  There are 14 of them so typically we do an egg each night the 2 weeks before Easter but I forgot to start on the right day and decided since we have 2 kids we should just do them the week before Easter and then they can each do 1 egg a night.  We have also been doing a new activity I found online that uses pictures from the last week of Christ's life.  We hold up a few pictures each night and tell what is happening in it.  We have really enjoyed it.  Each night I tape up the ones we did that night and then we can see them all day and talk about them. Its been great.  Such smart people out there on the Internet.



We have a few more activities planned and some egg hunts to attend so it should be a great weekend.


1 comment:

Linda said...

So fun!! I love all your ideas!! Happy Easter!