Monday, April 7, 2014

Utah

We drove out to Utah for the first part of Spring break.  It was great to visit with Mark's family there. His sister Cathryn decided last minute to come out to visit too. Jared and Lydia were thrilled to get to play with so many of their cousins. Molly/Steve and Shannon/Kris live there and Susan/Bret were coming out too. It was great to see them all. We had Friday - Monday to spend with them before we left so we played at a park, had a picnic, went swimming in the hot springs, and went down to BYU to get new shirts. It was a fun weekend. We went to church with Sue and Jared made all the primary workers fall in love with him. As we walked him down to the Primary room he repeatedly told us he did not want to go. Mark and I stopped in the Nursery to drop off Lydia so Sue took him down which I think was a better arrangement.  Once they got there he walked right in and sat down with the 4 year old class. After church the music leader saw Jared with us and came over to tell us how much Jared participated and how cute he was. She said while the Bishop was talking Jared raised his hand and when the Bishop called on him Jared asked him "Do you want to know what I want to be when I grow up?" The Bishop said, "There is nothing I want to know more" (Pretty sure this was completely off topic for his message). Jared paused and said..."I just want to be one of those guys who pass the Sacrament." He is so funny. When Mark and I got back from out trip we rode Trax up to Temple Square to walk around and listen to Saturday Morning General Conference and went swimming again.
Jared and Lydia did really well while we were gone. They listened well and loved playing with cousins.  Most mornings Jared would wake up then go to Grandma Sue's room and lay on the bed with her and watch a little show.  Lydia joined them as soon as she woke up. Sue also has a projector and screen so they watched Frozen with the cousins and loved it on the big screen.  Monday night Susan and Bret arrived and after dinner they ended up having an impromptu FHE with Shannon and Cathryn's kids too. Back in December Bret suffered a serious very scary heart attack and we have all been praying for him and his family.  He is doing very well and wanted to tell each of the kids thank you for praying for him.  After he did Jared said "I said your name so many times!" They all thought it was pretty cute.  I know I am terribly biased about my kids but it is really nice to hear people talk about how well behaved they are and how fun they are to be around. It's nice to know people enjoy being with your kids and aren't just watching them because they are family or feel they have to but that they like to. Makes me so happy. Jared found this stuffed animal and when Sue saw him playing with it she told him that it was Mark's when he was little.  He got it at the hospital after the Ultralight accident with his Dad. After that Jared slept with it while we were gone.  It was so great to walk in the door and see Jared and Lydia when we got back. Jared came and sat in my lap and cuddled for quite awhile.  We missed them a lot but knew they were being very well taken care of.  When we saw Lydia she gave us huge hugs and shouted "Back!" For the past few days she will look at Mark and I and say "Gone. Plane. Back!" again and again I think she missed us and was relieved that we made it back.  We sure love them!





 I love this see saw! 
Mark kindly let Jared borrow his glasses since they were looking at the sun. 





 They both LOVED riding Trax.  We did it before in 2012 but Lydia was maybe 3 months old so this was a new experience for her.


 Temple Square is just so pretty in the Spring. 
 Well pretty much any time of year but Spring just may be my favorite. 


I love his hands in his pockets.  Such a cutie. 


When we asked Jared what was his favorite part of Temple Square he said walking on the ledges.  


We got to Temple Square right before 10:00 so we walked around a bit and then asked some Sister Missionaries where they thought was the best place to listen to conference. The ones we talked to suggested The Joseph Smith Memorial building in the Legacy theatre. We walked over and luckily found 2 seats in the theatre. They were end seats a row apart from each other. So Mark and I each sat with a kid on our lap and got to hear President Monson's opening remarks and Elder Holland. It was perfect. I loved that we got to see our Prophet and always look forward to Elder Holland's talks. It was fun to be in the big theatre with such a large screen.  We knew we wouldn't last for it all and were so happy we got to see it there at all. It was perfect.




We enjoyed our time in Utah and loved being with family but are so happy to be back home.

No comments: