Sunday, April 14, 2013

Congratulations...

Today I got a new calling at church. I am now the 2nd counselor in the Relief Society Presidency.  A lot of people were really surprised they were changing the presidency but I was not. Not because I had some amazing spiritual enlightenment but because the current counselor is moving in June and I have held every calling she has had right after her.  She was the Primary President before me, then the Visiting Teaching Supervisor which I just got released from and then the 2nd counselor which I now am. We were talking after and I said "we are three for three."  It was funny and weird. I told her I would anxiously wait to hear what her new calling was after she moved so I can start preparing for it. I never quite know how to respond to someone when they tell me "Congratulations" on a new calling.  A baby sure, a new job of course but a calling?  Just seems a little off.  But people were really nice and supportive.

We have been having some fun around here.  We went ahead and bought Jared a bike.  He has only ridden it once as we have had this weird cold snap here. It's a Lightning McQueen Bike (of course) and he was very excited about it but even more excited about the fact that it came with 6 cones. We debated long and hard about buying this bike or the one slightly larger but since this one had cones we got it. At least he is enjoying the cones while we wait for some warmer weather.

 
This is how we like to spend our mornings before church or anytime I lay down on the ground.
*Bonus you can see his cones on the ottoman in the background.  He LOVES them!
 

 
 
My Dad (who is a Realtor in Northern CA) just listed my Grandparents house on Realtor.com.  It made me miss them and feel a little sad.
I am so grateful I got to see my Grammie last March (2012) and she could meet Lydia.
I am so grateful I got to spend so much time with them when I was growing up.
I am so grateful I got to spend a few days at their house last August when I went out for my Grammie's funeral.
 
Seeing their house listed made me start to think about how it will feel when my parents sell their house my childhood home. They have lived in the same house since I was 5. I don't get back there much but do have a lot of special memories there. It was a happy place for me. I LOVE the song "Best Day" sung by Taylor Swift. I feel like I did have that kind of  childhood and want so badly for Jared and Lydia to be able to sing that song about their childhood as well. Soon they are going to be in school all day and I will miss them. I must take more videos of me with them. And I must be less selfish with my time during the day. They both take their nap at the same time so I do have time to myself for now during the day and they are both in bed by 7:45 so plenty of time at night.  I am pretty sure there was a conference talk (found it :great reminder must read it often!) about just sitting on the floor while they are playing and watching them, being there, present. I love Jared and Lydia and want these special memories with them so much. I am fortunate to have this opportunity. Now to just find a way to not feel like I have to be doing something to not feel like the day is a little too long.


2 comments:

veryterry said...

Sometimes I read your blog posts think, how did she get into my head? :) I've been having so many of those same thoughts. I wanted that photo tour dad made to go on showing every detail of their house so that I could keep remembering all the special times we were lucky to have. Love you sister! Today I started some "play school" with Lyra. We worked out of a tracing book together with some new little markers I got for her and she seemed to like it. Thanks again for helping me get jump started with ideas to teach/play with her! Hope your new calling is rewarding and a good way for you to grow. They are lucky to have you!

Michele said...

Thanks for reminding me of that wonderful talk. I needed to read that talk tonight. I need to speak kinder and sit down and play with my children more. There are many distractions in the world to keep us from playing with our children! My distractions are trying to keep my house clean, laundry, etc.