In late August/early September Mark and his Mom had a phone conversation about her coming out to visit and in that conversation she mentioned that she would really like to take a drive into New England to see the colors. I thought this was an awesome idea and it was decided that she would come out in early October and we would make the trip and get to celebrate Jared's birthday with her. We picked her up from the airport last Wednesday (the 07th) and left after school the next day. Jared missing two days of school to see Fall colors is totally okay to me. I am so glad that Mark's principal was okay with him taking Friday and Monday off so we could go. We knew it would be a ton of driving but were up for it anyway. That is the tricky part of Fall colors you end up driving a lot to find them! Driving this far in 4.5 days was crazy. We went through 10 states, 11 if you count Virginia.
We stayed in Harrisburg PA for our first night to get us a little bit closer to Boston our first stop. We left around 7:45 Friday morning and enjoyed a beautiful drive through New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut and made it into Boston around 3:00. Connecticut was probably my favorite part of the drive. It was so beautiful and we got it right at the peak. So fantastic. That is the tricky thing about Fall, planning outings during it is so hard. You just can't know when the colors will be at their peak and you may just be off by a day. Either way it is beautiful but catching the trees at their peak is really kind of magical. At first I had wisely chosen to sit behind the passenger side so I was not right between Jared and Lydia (who did so well with all this driving and sleeping different places and being up late) but then I found I couldn't see enough of the colors so I had to move to the middle. By the end of each day I was totally done being touched! I probably did a worse job in the car than them, they really were such troopers.
We went back and forth about what to do in Boston as we knew we would not have very much time there (we had to get to Maine that night). We finally decided on a trolley ride through town only to discover that we got there too late (traffic getting into the city) in the day. Instead we took a walk around Boston Commons and then went across the street into the Boston Public Gardens and had a great time walking around the BEAUTIFUL grounds. About 10 minutes into our walk it started raining which was a bummer but we had an umbrella and our raincoats and enjoyed a nice break from the car. I was so hoping to take a ride in the swan boats they have there but they had packed them up at the end of September. There is lots to do in Boston/the surrounding areas so I am sure we will make a trip up there again and pick a time when the boats are out. We loved the public gardens even in the rain.
The weeping Willows were a big hit! Just what they needed after hours in the car.
We need to check out this book: "Make Way for Ducklings" stat.
We ate dinner at a great little burger place and got back in the car to make it to our next stop, Kennebunkport Maine, a super cute quaint little town.







No comments:
Post a Comment