Thursday, October 22, 2015

Hershey, PA and the long drive home


We knew we had a long drive ahead of us (about 8 hours) on Monday so the night before we decided we would make a small detour to Hershey, PA to help break up the day.  It was little past the half way point and it was a beautiful drive to get there. Pennsylvania and Connecticut seemed the most colorful to me.  I didn't even bother to take any pictures but just tried to enjoy it all.  I did make Mark stop at several rest stops along the way to see if there was a good picture but there were none.

Growing up in California there was a smaller Hershey Chocolate Factory about 3 hours from my parent's house and I remember my Mom taking me there I think in middle school.  It has since closed. I had picked chocolate as a topic for a research report and thought a tour of a chocolate factory would be a pretty good source.  It was fun and smelled delicious but was nowhere near the operation out here in Pennsylvania. I had read about it online and knew it was quite the place but since we were there in October, the offseason it wasn't too busy.  We enjoyed the short tour, getting some candy from the candy wall and wandering around the store.  I was surprised the tour took place in little open cars and don't remember seeing a lot of chocolate being made but it was still a fun stop.  I have always wanted to go and now I have.  We were planning on going next summer when we head up to Philadelphia for the temple open house but now maybe we can find somewhere else to stop, although I would not mind going again and I don't think Jared and Lydia would either. I will say that I was quite disappointed in the sample they were giving out.  They had chocolate covered pomegranates!  Lame!





 Beginning the tour. There was lots of music and singing cows on this tour and Lydia loved it. She was dancing along and having a great time. I think it was a fun little ride to her. 

 So many kisses, Jared said they are his favorite. 


We got home a little after 7:00 and I was so happy to be out of the car! I am not a fan of the back seat! It was a beautiful trip and one I would for sure do again. I do love this time of year and was not disappointed by New England. I am so glad Sue could come with us and check it off her bucket list.

No comments: